Sunday, January 07, 2007

Eragon: did they even read the book?

Hubby and I went to see Eragon last night. I just finished the book Friday, and Hubby read it at Christmas, so everything was fresh in our minds. This book had the potential to be a fantastic movie. The problem is, I don't think anyone involved in the movie actually read the book.

I would post a laundry list of my grievances against the movie, but according to online reviews and message boards, I'm not alone in my disappointment. I would only be repeating what countless before me have already mentioned: a rushed story line that leaves out major plot points and important characters, lack of character development (due to said rushed story line), and flat-out contradictions of the book.

I suppose if I had not read the book (and did not know there was a book) the movie would have been an enjoyable experience, although I'm not sure I would have been able to follow at some points without the benefit of having read the book.

Here's where I'll depart from what most seem to be doing. I'm going to give the movie props. Here's what I LIKED about it:

Durza's fire trap at the beginning - that made me think the whole movie was going to rock my face off. Sadly, the rest of the movie did not deliver.

Baby Saphira - I don't know that "cute" is a word that should be used to describe a dragon at any stage in its life, but that was one cute dragon hatchling.

Wow - I thought I had more for this list than I do. Sad, huh?

I give this movie one pity star. That's all. Boo. Hiss.

No comments: