Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Psalm 139:1-12

O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit
down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out
my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before
a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me
in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too
wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.


Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your
presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you
are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts
of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold
me. If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me
be night," even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you.


How can a passage of scripture be so incredibly comforting, while at the same time able to invoke such fearful respect? On the one hand, you have the very clear message that God is there for us no matter what we are going through, wherever we are in our lives. On the other hand, nothing we do can be hidden from Him. Nothing. Even if nobody witnesses our actions, God still knows. Even if we never voice the evil thoughts in our heads, God knows we thought them.

Thank you for your ever-present spirit. Guard my heart and mind from all that is not pure, and help me to lead a life that is pleasing to You.

No comments: