Friday, October 05, 2007

The Incredible Journey, Continued

Day 2 of our 1700+ mile whirlwind tour of I-40W began at 4 a.m. in Amarillo, TX. That's when we started getting everything together to get 4 people and 2 cats checked out of a hotel room and back on the road. I actually drove the car the 3 hours to Santa Rosa, NM. Yes, in a 1700+ mile trip, I drove a whopping 172 miles. Which is actually a major thing, considering how much I hate driving. But let me tell you this - I stayed awake the entire way through New Mexico. And that's a major thing, too, since I must have some form of narcolepsy that activates the second I sit down in the passenger seat of an automobile.

I think it was the scenery. By that point the sun was up and we could actually see what kind of area we were driving through. It was beautiful. I had never in my life seen anything like it. I was so in awe that I didn't get a single shot of Albequerque. Yeah, I missed all 17 exits of photography opportunities because I couldn't pick my jaw up off the floor of the car.

Arizona was just as awe-inspiring.

I was aware that we would need to watch for deer, and even elk around Flagstaff:

But who knew there were still DINOSAURS in Arizona???

We split up for the drive on Saturday, hoping that I could get to the leasing office before it closed and pick up keys so we could start moving in as soon as Hubby got there with the truck. The plan was flawless. Except for the part where they wouldn't give me keys to the apartment until both of our signatures were on the lease. Fortunately Hubby was only about an hour behind me, and by the time I finished initialing here and signing there we only had to wait about half an hour for him to roll in.

So after crossing 2 time zones, we started unpacking the truck around 5 p.m. Saturday. We worked for a couple hours and managed to get our bed unpacked and put together before we just had to stop for the night. It was becoming hazardous to everyone's well-being to continue. So we cleared enough space in the living room for the air mattress for brother-in-law and sis-in-law and we collapsed.

Sunday morning we started in again around 9 a.m. and were finished with the truck by noon. We ordered a pizza for lunch from Oggi's. Oh. My. Goodness! That was the best pizza EVAR!

After returning the moving truck and getting our deposit back for that, it was time to replace the sleeper sofa. So we went exploring and found a familiar store - Ashley Furniture. Armed with the knowledge that a small loveseat was really all we could fit in this living room, we started browsing. And came to the perfect loveseat in the clearance section. Woohoo!

So that's our story. We're here. We've been here for a week now. And even though all our stuff is here with us, it still feels like we're away on vacation (at least to me...Hubby has been at work all week, so I'm sure he doesn't feel like he's on vacation). Again, I think it's the scenery.

No comments: