Friday, February 03, 2006

Beef Stew

I found this recipe at orgjunkie.com and it was a definite hit in our house. I skipped the onions but sprinkled in some onion powder, and I skipped the celery completely. I also used dried bay leaves. This would be awesome with cornbread...now I need to learn how to make cornbread.

2 pounds beef chuck or stew meat, cut in 1″ cubes (or you can even buy stew meat already cut up)
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp paprika
4 carrots sliced (I throw in a bunch of baby carrots already washed and peeled and ready to go)
2 cans of potatoes (this is the trick…canned potatoes don’t go soggy)
2 onions, chopped (I just throw in big chunks so I can scoop them out afterwards)
1 stalk celery, sliced (most of the time I can’t be bothered)

Please meat in cooker (no need to brown first). Mix flour, salt and pepper and pour over meat; stir to coat meat with flour. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or high 4-6 hours. Stir stew thoroughly before serving.

No comments: