Thursday, May 29, 2008

Shrimp Kisses

I decided that I was tired of the same old menu of spaghetti, baked chicken, and take-out. I wanted to try my hand at something different. And I was in the mood for shrimp.

So I hopped into the computer chair, pulled out the keyboard tray, and set my little fingers to typing the magic letters: http://www.allrecipes.com/ .

They have this handy little feature there that allows you to search for recipes based on what ingredients you want to use - or even what you DON'T want to use (I suppose that would come in quite handy for those with food allergies).

Long story short (too late, I know), I came across this little gem and decided to try it tonight. Since it was deemed worthy of a repeat appearance on our menu, I think I'll share it here.

Shrimp Kisses

1 8oz package Monterey Jack cheese, cut into strips
40 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
20 slices bacon, cut in half

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Place a small slice of cheese into the butterflied opening of each shrimp.

Wrap half of a slice of bacon around each one to conceal the cheese, securing with toothpicks.

Place on a cookie sheet.

Bake 10-15 minutes until bacon is browned.

* The comments on the recipe mentioned the little problem of the cheese melting out onto the pan while baking. I lined my cookie sheet with aluminum foil to help with cleanup. It was also suggested that after wrapping the shrimp in bacon, you could then wrap the whole thing in puff pastry. I might try that next time.

* I'm also contemplating sprinkling brown sugar over the shrimp kisses before baking. I think that will add a nice touch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that website! I signed up for their daily dishes and get a tasty recipe each day of the week. I was just thinking earlier today that I haven't done a whole lot with shrimp, so I may try this out. Or, I may see if I can find a tasty recipe for shrimp on the barbie - I've been looking to try my hand at grilling shrimp. Have a great weekend you guys! We miss you!