Sunday, August 12, 2007

Psalm 1:1-2


Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the
ungodly, norstands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
but hisdelight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and
night.


Upon reading this passage this morning, my thoughts immediately turned to my grandmother. She was an amazing lady, and this was one of her favorite psalms to quote.

But then I remembered that my purpose was not to reminisce, but to relate the passage to my current life and thereby grow closer to God.

The Christian life is often referred to as a walk. And how easy it is for our attention to be diverted from the narrow path! Just like Little Red Riding Hood, we find ourselves wandering from the path and into the woods beyond. Or perhaps we don't even realize the path we are now on is wider. We've taken a side road without noticing.

The problem is, all side roads from the narrow path of Christianity are dead ends. We can't get where we want to be from here.But how often do we find ourselves walking down a side path? How often do we come across something on the side path that catches our eye and stop to have a closer look? How often do we sit down on the side path and rest a while, becoming complacent with our location?

Lord, help me to get back up. Help me to turn myself around and get my feet back on the narrow path that leads to You. Forgive me for my complacency.

No comments: