Wednesday, February 21, 2007

close...so very close

This morning we had an area-wide tornado drill. Right around the time I was wrangling my class through the hallway to go to the water fountain, the city's severe weather alert sirens began to sound. Of course the kids were curious, so once we got back to the classroom I explained that the city was just testing the sirens to make sure they work. Then we talked about what the sirens were for and our class emergency plans. We talked about how, if there really were a tornado, we would line up quietly and calmly and go sit in the hallway. As conversations with 4 and 5 year olds are wont to do, the discussion evolved and we turned to other emergency plans. We talked about fires and about what to do if someone were to get hurt badly or seriously ill. They raised some very interesting questions about our emergency plans - here are my two favorites:

"What do we do if a giant attacks our school?" (I told them I'd have to check with our director on that one)

"What if a dragon attacks?" (I assume the emergency plan in this situation would be similar to that of a fire, since that is the typical mode of dragon attack)

One little genius really had me impressed for a minute.

"If there's a fire we call 9-1-1 and they ask 'where is your emergency?' and we say 'at day care' and they come and they spray the tor-may-doe down until it's little and then they blow it away."

I think he got a little mixed up somewhere in there.

No comments: