Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Deathly Hallows


Hubby and I waited in line Friday night with our voucher for the copy of the final installment of the Harry Potter saga that we paid for ages ago. Books-a-Million was packed. People were dressed up. Children were up and out way past their bedtimes. It was one of those times that reminds me how much I hate people. A person or two on their own, no problem. But people en masse are stupid.

Anyway, at precisely 12:01 a.m. Saturday morning, the line started moving. As far back in the line as we were, we still got home before 1:30. Of course, everyone in line had a voucher, so all the clerks had to do was scan the voucher, scan the book, and bag the book. Things go a lot faster when money isn't involved.

Hubby planned to stay up and read when we got home, but he only got about 200 pages in before he crashed. I woke up around 9 and pried the book from the death grip he had on it and started in. I had only gotten about a chapter ahead of Hubby when he was ready to claim the book as his own again (he reads a lot faster than me, so it only made since to let him finish first).

I finally got it back around 5 p.m. Saturday and stayed up until 3 a.m. Sunday devouring the thing. I laughed. I cried. I ate frozen pizza without getting grease on the pages of the book (nothing less than a miracle).

I'll not spoil the book here. Wikipedia has a very thorough entry for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows already. Suffice it to say that JK Rowling is a brilliant author who left nothing unresolved. Everything was tied up nicely and neatly. I am satisfied. I'm sure that's what Rowling has been holding her breath waiting to here. That her writing meets and even exceeds MY expectations of her. She can now relax and resume swimming in her royalties a la Scrooge McDuck.

Next time the final book of the Harry Potter series comes out, we're reserving 2 copies. I'm done with this sharing nonsense.

No comments: